Tuesday, July 16, 2013

FO: Dru Flies

Once upon a time (oh fine, it was last month) in the land of HPKCHC, there was a really awesome Ravenclaw who was temporarily unable to knit for medical reasons.  She was understandably bummed about it, but her fellow Claws decided to band together to make up the points difference so this fierce competitor and wonderful human being wouldn't feel guilty on top of bummed on top of injured.

Almost simultaneously, at my house, my Fairy Mother appeared with a sparkly wand and magicked a large shawl's worth of gorgeous hand-dyed superwash straight into my hands!!  With no solid plan, I figured I'd take some time to pick an appropriate pattern, start it in August, and finish in September.  There's that red-and-gold shawl happening during June, remember, and the Evenstar, of course... just no time to knit a 571-yard shawl in June.  Don't even think about June.

My version of Summer Flies [Rav] by Alla Postelnik; knit with two full skeins of String Theory Merino DK in colorway Garnet

The pattern is Donna Griffin’s no-longer-free! Summer Flies [Rav] Charts 1-6 with Alla Postelnik’s mods for the border. I further modified Alla's border by knitting rows 1-7 of border chart A, added a garter ridge-eyelet-garter ridge detail for the next three rows (total rows 10, down from 20; one butterfly repeat, down from 3) and extended border chart B for two additional lace rows (17 and 19) to use up all the yarn on my favorite part.  :)


This shawl (Shawl #6 for the year!) is currently nominated for a June prize in the Harry Potter Knit & Crochet House Cup [Rav]... I'm trying to be cool about it, but I'm NOT cool and I AM terribly excited.  :)  Everything about this project makes me smile.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love it!! The color is the most gorgeous color! Great job and love the mods you made.