Thursday, December 8, 2011

Why Buy the Cowl...

when you can go to Melk for free?  Wait, that doesn't make any sense.  What I mean to say is: it's time to knit cowls for no reason!  Other than...
  • Christmas is coming and they're quick
  • I already have nice yarn in small quantities
  • I'm known for NOT being thoughtful -- this'll show 'em
  • I have no other WIPs.  None!  Really!
  • except for the toddler legwarmers.  Which are boring.

First up: Canaletto Cowl [Rav link], a free pattern designed by Megan Goodacre:
new computer = new photo software.  I'm not very good yet.
The designer suggests a variety of spiffy yarns that I am not about to buy (it's December, I'm in the home stretch of the Great Yarn Fast of 2011!), so I'm using Blue Sky Alpacas Worsted Cotton stash yarn Knit Picks Simply Cotton Organic Worsted in colorway Ginger.  It's pretty and neutral and machine-washable and -dryable.  AND it has more give than your average 100% cotton yarn -- to prevent hurting hands -- but no real stretch, so the cowl will keep its shape nicely.

I'll probably make it a present.  But if it slips and falls into my dresser drawer, I won't be disappointed.

No comments: