Sunday, September 18, 2011

KATM+PR: Scott Pilgrim vs. the World

I can't write about the movie Scott Pilgrim vs. the World without making several confessions:
* I play video games frequently
* I've wanted blue hair since I was 10
* I've wanted to be in a band since I was 7
* I was thisclose to leaving the country, just because
* I'm a sucker for distorted guitar, bass solos, and girl drummers
* I did some wildly inappropriate dating at and around the age of 22

So basically what I'm saying is: in the alternate universe of my mind, I'm some strange chimera of Scott Pilgrim and Ramona Flowers.  And it doesn't matter to me whether the movie version of the comic got a good review or a bad review (in the same publication, no less).  No surprise, I loved this movie, which allowed me to realize my charming disaffected itinerant blue-hair band-girl DDR dreams while staying an awkward married librarian mom IRL.

........On to the knitwear!!
"Do you know this one girl with hair like this?"

Scott's Wristbands
Scott Pilgrim (Age: 22; Rating: Awesome) likes to wear striped wristbands:
They come in assorted colors to go with his assorted band T-shirts and assorted moods.  And they're easy to make!
free!  Scott Pilgrim Wrist Bands [Rav link] from the brain of cyancomet

Scott's Slouchy Hat
If this hat were a person, it would have an ironic handlebar mustache and muttonchops.
...it would listen to Daytrotter sessions and vinyl; it would wear skinny jeans and drink PBR; it would own this hat. 
Scott Pilgrim Hat (The Original Costume Pattern) [Rav link] by Lulu Bee; $5.00 USD
Scott Pilgrim's Slouchy Hat [Rav link] by Joy Smith; $5.00 USD
free!  wurm [Rav link] by katushika
free!  Scott Pilgrim Stocking Hat/Snail Hat [Rav link] by Rochelle Mantanona
free!  Scott Pilgrim hat [Rav link] by Anna Steinbrink

Kim Pine's Cap
Alison Pill does such an awesome job of bringing Kim's combination of thinly veiled rage and not-at-all-veiled ennui to life.
She and Kieran Culkin are my favorites (sadly, no Wallace knitwear to be found).  No Kim hat patterns, either, but I found a couple lookalikes; add a big ol' pompon for more fun!
free! knit/crochet  134-25 "VEGA" - Crochet hat with knitted top [Rav link] by DROPS design
Squawk [Rav link] by kim mac donald; $5.00 USD

Ramona's Berry Sweater
It's striped and fuzzy!
May I also note: it'll go with whatever hair color her ninja-delivery-girl heart desires.

Ramona's Knit Hoodie
I'm a sucker for teal, what can I say.
Comfy, simple, teal.  And easy enough to duplicate with a lookalike free pattern.  Ta-da!
109-1 Jumper with hood in "Eskimo" [Rav link] by DROPS design; NOTE: the pattern is for super bulky weight yarn, but I'm sure yarn choice and other things could easily cut down on the bulk factor.

Ramona's Film Set Mitts
But seriously, what's on the back of them?
Stylized skull and crossbones? Floppy bows with rhinestones? Some sort of Galaga... thing? 

Ramona's Sweater Tee
Now this I would totally wear.
He's so sad... but still stares at her boobs.  No pattern for this, unfortunately, but you could heavily modify this free pattern:
Blossom Tee [Rav link] by Linda from clickertyclick

Ramona's Battle Mitts
Safari clothes and a Warhammer.  Pfft.  Nice look, Rammy.
I do so love the teal gloves/electric blue hair shot, though.  Lovely.  And there's a free pattern for these, so yay!
Ramona Flowers Fingerless Gloves [Rav link] by Shannon Foss

Knives's Scarf
Aww, Knives.  Poor, sweet, marginalized Knives.
She doesn't even get a non-curling scarf.  But at least she doesn't (necessarily) have to date losers anymore.
free!  Knives Chau's Battle Scarf [Rav link] by Melinda Melin
free!  Easy Broken Rib Scarf [Rav link] by Knitting on the Net as styled by HexiJosh [Rav link]

Knives's Battle Gauntlets
Because sometimes you need knitted opera length finger loop gloves:
See?
free!  City Gauntlets [Rav link] by Lion Brand Yarn as styled by OmegaMoth [Rav link]; NOTE: Lion Brand patterns are free, but require registration

BONUS CRAFT HAPPY:  Renee, the Domestic Scientist and fellow geek, made an "I'm in lesbians with you." cross stitch!
EVEN MORE BONUSER: Ravelry user sefronia made a Sex Bob-Omb hat [Rav link]! Alas, no written pattern.

No comments: