Friday, July 8, 2011

Knitwear at the Movies: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

So I'm way too excited--and slightly saddened, let's be honest--about the upcoming release of the final Harry Potter movie Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 (AKA HP7b). Let's get right to it: HP6!

Dumbledore and I have loads in common.

Hermione's Gray Hat
Hermione has the best hats, for reals.  This one is a dove gray stocking cap with a ribbed brim and a cable and eyelet crown:
<3 Luna!
The hat coordinates with her coat while the scarf matches the sweater peeking out at the collar.  Well done, costume designer!

Won Won's Zipper Sweater
It was tough to get a clear picture of this sweater; even after several tries, I was unsuccessful.  I blame the butter beer.
Don't give me that look, mister.
Squinting at the sweater in motion made me think that the detail could be either single rows of stranded colorwork between larger stripes or (more likely) visible purl bumps to add visual interest with the striping.  If you got a clearer view, let me know.

Hermione's Fair Isle Scarf
Ron's Pompon Hat
It's a double (triple, actually) whammy of knitted colorwork goodness in a three shot.  Ron's brown stripy hat shares the stage with Hermione's graytone Fair Isle scarf.  Harry's a knitwear slacker.
the gang's all here.
The scarf's color palette is muted, but I'll forgive that because the colorwork designs are so strong.  Anyone else reminded of timeturners by the row of triangle pairs?

The hat, of course, just solidifies Ron's place as the cutest hipster ginger that ever lived.

Stay tuned tomorrow for my NEW FEATURE: PATTERN ROUND-UP!!

No comments: